2017-02-01 TLS CATECHISM QUIZ
1. Write the 3rd Article up to “come to him.”
I believe in the Holy Spirit; the holy Christian church, the communion of saints; the forgiveness of sins; the resurrection of the body; and the life everlasting. Amen.
What does this mean?
I believe that I cannot by my own thinking or choosing believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him.
2. Why do I say that the Holy Spirit sanctifies me when he brings me to faith?
1 Corinthians 1:2 – To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy, together with all those everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ—their Lord and ours:
The Holy Spirit calls me out of the unbelieving world to be holy. (sanctified in the wider meaning of this word)
3. By what means did the Holy Spirit call me to faith in Christ?
Romans 10:17 Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ.
The Holy Spirit called me to faith in Christ by the gospel in Word and sacraments. (means of grace)
4. What change does the Holy Spirit work in me when he sanctifies me by the gospel?
2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
The Holy Spirit leads me to hate sin and to be eager to live a holy life filled with good works. (sanctified in the narrow meaning of this word)
5. Why am I able to do good works?
Philippians 2:13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.
I am able to do good works because the Holy Spirit gives me a pure heart in which Christ lives by faith.
6. What, then, is a good work?
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
A good work is whatever a believer does according to God’s Word out of love and thanks for all of God’s goodness.
7.What was chapel about this morning?
8. Were you in church this last Sunday? If so, where? If not, why not? Did you attend Footsteps or a Bible class?