2017-01-18 TLS Catechism Quiz
1. Write the Second Article from “descended into hell” to “is my Lord.”
He descended into hell; the third day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from there He will come to judge the living and the dead.
What does this mean?
I believe that Jesus Christ, true God, begotten of the Father from eternity, and also true man, born of the Virgin Mary, is my Lord.
2. Why do I believe Jesus Christ is true God?
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
a. The Bible calls Him God. (Divine Names)
b. He has all of God’s characteristics. (Divine Attributes)
c. He does things only God can do. (Divine Works)
d. The Bible tells my to honor him as God. (Divine Honor)
3. Why was it necessary for Jesus to be both true man and true God in one person?
Galatians 4:4–5 But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons.
a. So he could be under God’s law and keep it perfectly for me. (Active Obedience)
b. So he could die and also ransom me by his death. (Passive Obedience)
4. What did Jesus do as High Priest while he was on earth?
1 John 2:2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.
As High Priest, Christ represented the whole world before God and sacrificed himself for the sins of all. (Vicarious Atonement)
5. In what sense did Christ’s redemption free me from the slavery of death?
John 11:25–26 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me will live, even though he dies; and whoever lives and believes in me will never die. Do you believe this?”
Christ’s redemption freed me from the punishment of eternal death in hell.
6. What was chapel about this morning?
7. Were you in church this last Sunday? If so, where? If not, why not? Were you in Footsteps or Bible class?