12/03 Assignment – Due December 10
Remember to correct the quiz from December 3 and bring it back to class with you.
- Can girls baptize babies?
- Matthew 28:18-19 – We baptize by Jesus’ authority, not our own.
- Titus 3:5 – The power of baptism is through the Holy Spirit.
- 1 Peter 3:21 – Baptism saves us by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- Baptism is an act of God. The authority is his. The power is his. Salvation is through Jesus’ resurrection. The person who baptizes simply carries out God’s command. It doesn’t matter if that person is male or female. God works the miracle in baptism. So, yes, girls can baptize.
- The Fourth Commandment
Honor your father and mother, that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.
What does this mean?
We should fear and love God that we do not dishonor or anger our parents and others in authority, but honor, serve and obey them, and give them love and respect.
- Passage – When we obey our parents and others in authority, whom are we really serving?
Ephesians 6:7 Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men.
- Passage – What is the only time we would disobey the authorities God has given us?
Acts 5:29 29 Peter and the other apostles replied: “We must obey God rather than men!
Only when they tell us to do something that would break God’s Law (sins of commission) or keep us from obeying God’s Law (sins of omission).
- Passage – Why do our parents discipline us?
Proverbs 13:24 24 He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.
a. Because they love us and want us to learn. They don’t want us to keep making the same mistakes over and over again.
b. Because they want to keep us safe and unhurt.
c. They want us to learn to enjoy life.
- How can God promise that we will enjoy life if our parents don’t let us do what we want to do?Note: these are sample answers. You don’t memorize these, you use them as a guide for your own answer.
- We don’t trust our parents to be right. We trust God to be right! Ephesians 6:1.
- First off, God can do anything he wants, also our parents don’t want us to make the same mistakes they did. Proverbs 14:12 There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.
- By obeying our parents we don’t get in much trouble and won’t get hurt; therefore we will be happy and enjoy life. Ephesians 6:1-3 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother” — which is the first commandment with a promise — “that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth.”
- Our parents are preparing us for our future so we can enjoy a long life on earth.
- Our parents are teaching us to be a better person and to know what’s right from wrong.
- Because we aren’t really enjoying life if we do wrong.